If for some strange reason you were only allowed to use one type of bodybuilding supplement, what would it be? That is an interesting question, but one that should be answered if you want to really figure out what is the best bodybuilding supplement.
Let’s face it; there are some really good supplements on the market that greatly affect how productive your efforts in the gym will be. But which one would be ‘The One’ if you had to choose?
By far these are considered some of the top supplements that any bodybuilder can take to help with muscle mass and size.
- Multivitamins – Vital to overall health. Vitamins now are more than just the basics. They also include key minerals and other compounds.
- BCAA’s – Branch chain amino acids are important building blocks that body uses constantly. Have an excess helps ensure you have what you need when you need it.
- Creatine – A critical component of workout energy as well as increases the muscle tissues ability to absorb water.
- Protein Powder – Provides the protein your body then uses to get all of the amino acids it needs for numerous body functions including the repair of muscle and muscle growth.
- Glutamine – A non-essential amino acid that has important functions in the entire body including protein metabolism.
Protein Powder is by far the best bodybuilding supplement. You simply can’t build muscle without adequate protein. As the point of bodybuilding is to build your body, if the basic blocks are there then nothing is being built.
Whey protein is probably the best type of powder available because it has the highest biological value and is very high in branch chain amino acids. It is digested quickly and is often considered to have the perfect combination of muscle building components.
There are also other types of powder such as Casein, Soy, Milk, and Egg. While these are considered lesser by some, they can also be part of a good supplementation program. Casein, for instance, takes much longer to digest (8 hours compared to 2 for whey) and releases protein more slowly into the body. For that reason it is the perfect powder to use for a shake before you go to sleep for 8 hours at night.
The Bottom Line
As wonderful and useful as the other listed supplement are, protein powder is the correct answer when you ask the question, ‘what is the best bodybuilding supplement’. It can be very difficult to get enough quality protein into your body each day to meet the needs of the existing muscles as well as the muscle size you are trying to add. Having easily digestible, high quality protein powder ensures that you have the most basic and important building block available for muscle building; protein.