Reaching a high level of fitness takes a lot of work. People often start with trying to find the perfect workout program. Then they learn the benefits of a healthy diet and how that can directly affect gains in the gym. From there it is only a matter of time before getting a great pre-workout meal in and adding supplements is part of the mix.
Every little bit helps when it comes to achieving a goal. The use of supplements as part of your daily intake as well as before and after a workout helps give your body every last advantage possible to naturally help create muscle, add strength, burn fat, and recovery quickly.
So what are you putting into your body before you hit the gym?
Top Pre-Workout Supplements
In addition to a good pre-workout meal these supplements can help increase energy and improve recovery.
- Nitric Oxide – This supplement helps increase the energy you have for a workout by increasing your body’s ability to pump more blood. This in turn increases the flow of oxygen and other nutrients throughout the body. Additional benefits are improved cardiovascular health and a slight immunity boost.
- Creatine – This is a favorite addition to many serious fitness enthusiasts and athletes. You need to use it in cycles because the body will slowly utilize less of it as it gets used to the regular ingestion. Creatine helps the process of delivering energy in the body and most notably in the cells of muscles.
- Caffeine – This might be a surprise to many but caffeine is excellent before a workout because it helps with your blood flow and provides extra stamina. Caffeine has the ability to increase your heart rate. This in turn increases the flow of oxygen and other nutrients throughout the body. It can also help release endorphins in the body to fight off mental fatigue.
- BCAA – Branch-chained amino acids can really give your body a great kick all across the board from muscle recovery to fat burning to muscle building. Your body naturally breaks down proteins to get the aminos it needs if they aren’t readily available. This supplement is great right before and during a workout.
- Taurine – Last but not least we have taurine which is another amino acid that specifically helps with the body’s ability to control muscular contractions; which is a vital part of any workout.
Where can you get these supplements? Many companies are making things that utilize multiple things in a single powder. Certain manufactures have combined amino acids with caffeine and nitric oxide to greatly boost energy for a workout. Other supplements can be found in powder form and mixed together for a nice pre-workout shake. If you shop around you can find a whole bunch of different combinations (or mix your own) that include many of these items to help ensure that you are getting the absolute most out of your time in the gym.