Everyone wants great abs. That is just a fact. Such a big deal has been made about having a trim, tight waistline that is typically the top priority for most people in the gym; or at least the number one item on the wish list.
So how the heck do you get those rock hard abs? It really boils down to 5 rather straightforward steps.
Guide to Rock Hard Abs
- Exercises – First of all you need a lot of variety in your abdominal workout. Along with exercises that contract the abdominals such as crunches you need to work with twisting motions for the intercostals as well as exercises like planks to worth the stabilizing muscles. People with great abs usually have a well developed core or trunk with all the muscles being tight and toned. The best way to go about it is to try and do 2-3 exercises per workout and rotate in different exercises each workout. This way you are constantly attacking from all angles. Light weight should be used for high reps are you aren’t looking to build big muscles.
- Better Cardio – You can’t see those great abs if they are covered by fat. One way to be more effective with your cardio is to ramp up the intensity in the beginning phase of your routine. For example running hard on the treadmill initially will help get the heart rate up in the higher end of the target zone. Even when you slow down to a more moderate pace your body is already in a higher gear and will burn just a little bit more than it would have if you started moderately.
- Water – The body needs to be hydrated regularly! This means drinking your 8 or more glasses of water each day. Plus it needs to be consumed evenly during the day. That water will help with weight loss by keeping your body regularly flushed out.
- Don’t Over Train – Some people hit their abs every workout. Others train for way too long with an over abundance of sets. They key is to treat them just like any other muscle group. Working them out twice a week with a regular number of sets is more than adequate. You should be 2-3 exercises for 2-3 sets each and reps in the 25+ range for optimum results.
- Tight Diet – Obviously you are never going to see even the best set of abs if there is a layer of fat covering them. So along with doing everything else on this list you need a tight diet! Excess calories will sabotage your goals. The same goes for bad calories and junk calories. For more specific information on proper dieting check out some of the other articles here on the site.
Great abs can be yours. You do have to put some work in but the best things in life are never easy. So if that is what you truly want then follow the tips here and make it happen. You can do this if you want to!