For a lot of us, time is short. We have responsibilities such as work, kids, making dinner, and the like. So when it comes to working out there isn’t always the kind of time available we might want. Which means when you train it is a key to train smarter because you can’t train longer.
The stomach, abs, midsection, or whatever you want to call it is always a major goal for most women, especially those who have had kids. Naturally after being pregnant it can be difficult to get back to that toned and tight midsection from before. But it can be done with some good workouts like the ones below! Plus the added benefit of a strong midsection or core is greater strength in all activities as well as handling everyday duties such as carrying around a sleeping child.
Now while diet and cardio play a large part in the visual aspect of seeing your muscles, this article is only focusing on workouts for the muscles.
Frequency and Reps
Usually abdominal work should be done every 2-3 days but if you are still sore then give it an extra day if needed. For repetitions we will be looking at doing sets that last 30 seconds. We aren’t going to be concerned with the actual count but more the form and function of the exercise over a specific duration. You want to focus on getting a good contraction and stretch in the target abdominal area each time.
This program will be done as a circuit with 3 to 4 rounds total.
- Board Plank – 30 seconds
- Air Bike Crunches – 30 seconds
- Lying Leg Raises – 30 seconds
- Standing Side Bends – 30 seconds
This program will be done as a circuit with 2 to 3 rounds total. Once 3 are easy add a 4th.
- Swiss Ball Incline Plank – 30 seconds (assume a pushup position but with your hands on a swiss ball)
- Swiss Ball Incline Knee Raises – 30 seconds (same start position as above then raise a knee to your chest one at a time as quickly as possible)
- Swiss Ball Crunches – 30 seconds (crunches while lying on the ball)
- Swiss Ball Twists – 30 seconds (sit on the ball with hands on head and twist left then right)
This program will be done as a circuit with 3 rounds total. Once 3 are easy add a 4th.
- Machine Crunches – 30 seconds
- Chair Leg Raises – 30 seconds
- Jackknife Crunches – 30 seconds
- Oblique Crunches – 30 seconds
Ideally you want to rotate through these programs to be constantly attacking your abdominals from all angles. The stress will help consistently strengthen and tone your midsection. If, however, you find one program to be more effective then feel free to utilize it more often to maximize the effectiveness. Some exercises just fit people better and they are able to get more out of them.