Anyone who is serious about bodybuilding should spend time looking into the various options for supplements. It doesn’t matter if you are a man or a woman; supplements will help you reach your goals quicker and more efficiently. However bodybuilding supplements for women are a bit different than those for men.
Obviously a woman’s body is different from a man’s. You don’t train exactly the same and by the same token you won’t utilize the exact same supplement program. There are certain things a woman needs more of than a man doesn’t as well as other things that you need less of.
Top 5 Supplements for Women
That isn’t to say there aren’t more great supplements, but here are five specific ones that female bodybuilders should consider.
- Creatine – There is a particular type of Creatine just for a woman that eliminates the side effects regular Creatine can give women like cramps and upset stomach. The benefits from Creatine are hard to pass up and include more energy during workouts, assisting with muscle building, and helping with fat burning.
- Calcium & Vitamin D – Bone strength is an issue many women will face at some point. As weightlifting can affect bone density it is important to have adequate levels of calcium available to keep bones healthy and strong. Vitamin D is needed for calcium absorption and helps with metabolism.
- Vitamin B – Vitamin B is one of the best bodybuilding supplements for women because it helps the body process carbohydrates, protein, and fats more efficiently. Additionally they help keep skin and hair healthy.
- Iron – Iron deficiency is a common issue for many women due to dietary differences from men. To ensure that you are getting enough iron, which is vital to athletic performance, a supplement should be taken.
- Whey Protein – Some women have a harder time ingesting enough protein to meet the needs of a bodybuilder’s diet. Adding whey or other types of protein shakes into a regular diet plan makes that goal much easier and without having to consume so many other forms of protein that might not digest as easily. Protein bars are also an excellent addition.
There are plenty of other useful bodybuilding supplements for women such as Branch-chained amino acids, a great multi-vitamin, L-carnitine, L-arginine, folate, ostivone, and guggul extract. However the top 5 list contains some of the most critical to ensure that your body is at its peak for training and recovery.
Both men and women can and should look into a serious supplementation plan if they are serious about bodybuilding. Science has come a long way in the area of supplementation and products are safe and well-tested. The benefits will make training more effective and gains more frequent, which for bodybuilding is a critical component of being successful. You only have so many peak physical years, so it makes sense to get the most out of them.