One simple key to good health is eating the right kinds of foods while avoiding the wrong kinds of foods. There are plenty of lists that talk about the wrong kind of things you need to avoid like sugary food, starches, and things created with white flour, but what are the things you should be eating?
As a man gets older his body needs more of certain nutrients to help offset the ravages of time. Heart disease, cancer, and blood pressure are all common issues that men will face. Along with eating well and ensuring you take in “super foods” like spinach and avocados, you need to be taking in another group of foods each week to help keep your body in its best condition for forty and beyond.
Top 10 Foods for Guys 40+
- Fish – Salmon, mackerel, and tuna top the list of great lean protein sources that are also right with omega-3 fatty acids. These are vital acids to help reduce heart attacks.
- Blueberries – This is one of the most antioxidant rich foods out there and will help fight against diseases. Add one cup to your breakfast each day and defy aging.
- Red Grapes – There are more antioxidants in grapes (or red wine) that work against heart disease and cancer.
- Oatmeal – This great food is a source of energy and helps reduce cholesterol levels along with lowering blood pressure. Oatmeal and blueberries is a fantastic breakfast option to keep you alive longer.
- Yams – An underappreciated food that is fat free and loaded with folate and vitamin A. That means you are fighting cancer and heart disease at the same time.
- Tomatoes – Or tomaaatoes…either way they have a lot of lycopene to help fight cancer.
- Green Veggies – These are all about the vitamins and energy plus reducing the chance of a stroke.
- Garlic – You want antioxidants along with helping the immune system while lowering blood pressure? Look no further!
- Green Tea – Sort of a cure-all, green tea has lots of antioxidants to help fight infection, boost the immune system, fight cancer, and reduce arthritis.
- Water – Ah nature’s perfect drink. We need it, our body loves it, and it helps with everything from appearance to moving fat and waste out of the body.
For most of this list you want to be eating most items weekly or daily. The nice thing is that you can easily incorporate all of these foods into a routine that is simple to follow without being restrictive. For example, water should be drunk every day, all day long; that is simple enough.
Next use oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast and either exchange green tea for coffee or add it as a late morning option a few times a week. Grapes make great snacks at work or on the go. Tomatoes and green veggies make a great salad which when combined with a side of yams and a main course of fish twice a week (sprinkled with garlic) finishes off the list.
How hard is that? Just making that small of an adjustment to your weekly eating habits can transform your body from the inside out, cutting down on the possibility of cancer, heart disease, and all the other awful things we look forward to after forty.