Ideally you do not want to go more than three or four hours between consuming some sort of food. Your body needs nutrients and something to boost the metabolism and keep insulin levels stable. As it can be hard to fit full meals in eating a healthy snack is a simple, yet effective idea.
With that in mind, here are a bunch of great snack ideas that are healthy and full of great nutrients to keep you going strong!
Healthy Snack Options
- Slice of whole grain toast with 1 tablespoon of almond butter and an apple
- 8 to 10 whole grain crackers topped with 1 ounce of sliced mozzarella cheese and a piece of fruit
- Simple trail mix made with 1/2 cup of dried fruit, 2 tablespoons of raisins, and 1/2 cup of nuts
- A dozen nuts like almonds or walnuts and 2 squares of dark chocolate
- A protein shake made with whey and skim milk
- Light yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup of granola or similar cereal
- A whole wheat tortilla topped with low-fat shredded cheese, rolled up, and dipped in salsa
- 15 whole grain tortilla chips with salsa
- A fruit smoothie can be made with 1 cup of frozen fruit and/or fresh banana, 1/2 cup of yogurt, and 1/2 cup of skim milk
- A serving of low fat cheese (of your choice) with 1 cup of grapes
- A baked sweet potato (add cinnamon or brown sugar for flavor)
- Celery sticks topped with 2 tables spoons of sunflower seed butter
- A turkey wrap made with a whole wheat tortilla, 2 slices of lean turkey, slices of tomato and avocado all rolled up
- A banana topped with a tablespoon of peanut butter
- Whole grain pretzels with a hummus dip
This is just a handful of great ideas to help provide you some solid energy and nutrients when you need it. A key point to maintaining a healthy diet and following good eating habits is actually eating regularly. If you don’t wait for hunger and keep your energy levels more consistent, then your body won’t send so many signals that make you feel like you have to eat. That is a huge part of the battle for some people.
So take some time when shopping at the store this week to pick up a few things off the list and try them out. Chances are you will enjoy the taste as well as the benefits.