Protein is something we all need. For those of us who are looking to either obtain or maintain a lean, muscular body, protein is a must to ingest each day. In fact, we are usually eating a lot of it all day, every day. Of course that can sometimes be problematic when we are in a hurry or between meals.
Luckily there are great protein rich foods that make perfect snacks.
We have a variety of protein snacks to choose from. More than likely you have already used one or two things off this list. Of course they can be combined with other food options, but we included some common and healthy ways to enjoy them.
The Top 10 Protein Snacks
- Beef Jerky – An ounce of a quality brand will net about 15 grams of protein. It goes great with a low-fat cheese stick, nuts, or crackers.
- Lowfat Cottage Cheese – Just a half of a cup gives you 14 grams and mixes wonderfully with honey.
- Greek Yogurt – The Greek variety packs more protein and a half of a cup is equal to 15 grams. It is complimented nicely by strawberries, blueberries, or a banana.
- Eggs – 2 hard-boiled or scrambled eggs nets you 12 grams of protein. A wheat English muffin or whole wheat toast goes perfect with either option.
- Tofu – A mere 3 ounces of the fu is worth 12 grams of protein. Just eat it plain and get it over with or add honey for flavor.
- Skim Milk – Drink an 8 ounce glass for 10 grams of protein. You can add a scoop of protein powder for a bit more kick.
- Protein Bars – The amount varies on the brand but you can get anywhere from 12 to 25 grams in a bar.
- Tuna – Just a half of a can, by itself or mixed up in a salad or sandwich will give you a solid 20 grams of protein. This is one of the best protein rich foods.
- Hummus – A single cup has a whopping 19 grams of protein. But it is also high in fat so don’t over-indulge on this one. It goes great with whole wheat crackers or veggies.
- Almonds – Grab 2 ounces of raw almonds and enjoy the benefit of 12 grams of protein. Pistachios and sunflowers are about the same for protein content but the amount of fat varies slightly.
This list comprises some of the best protein rich foods. There are others out there, but these 10 are some of the best in regards to the amount of protein per serving that you get. Plus most of these options are quick to prepare and easily portable. It is recommended to have healthy snacks like these available at home, at work, or even in the car to make sure you always have the proper fuel to give your body no matter when hunger occurs.