Is this actually an article about New Year’s fitness goals in February? Yes it is! Why so late? Why not write this same article after Christmas or in the second week of January? Honestly the answer is because at that time there is no point. People are always fired up to get in shape right around New Year’s and there are a ton of articles generated about meeting fitness goals.
Of course now with the calendar turning quite a few people have already thrown in the towel on that resolution and resigned themselves to trying again when it gets closer to summer. Well guess what? Tomorrow is one day closer to summer so stop wasting time! Let’s get back to it and outline some methods to get the ball rolling for real now that the New Year’s rush on fitness goals are over.
Top 5 Tips to Reach Your Fitness Goals
It’s a New Year and that means limitless possibilities! But, instead of attempting to reach your goals based on enthusiasm alone, let’s look at some solid tips that actually will make a difference and get you where you really want to be.
- Start Small – The biggest mistake people make is going for a complete 180. They expect to start exercising five days a week and be able to handle a totally new diet. For most people, gradual changes are easier to handle and maintain. So look to start small and then slowly increase your effort each month so you peak at summer.
- Eat A Lot – Sounds weird right? Most people restrict calories. The idea here is to eat more…in the first half of the day. Go full bore with a big, healthy breakfast and then pack away a solid lunch. Get full on good food. Then taper back on your intake as the evening sets in and you don’t need so many calories.
- Start Substituting – Again this isn’t a total overhaul. Instead look to try and substitute one to two things a week in your diet. Start small by eating a healthy granola or oatmeal cereal for breakfast and exchange sodas for water. Then next week look at swapping something else like fries for the side salad.
- Lift Weights Twice a Week – Twice a week isn’t much now is it? Working on gaining lean muscle mass is important to turn your body into a more efficient fat burning machine. It also makes you stronger and look better. Start small with two simple 30-minute workouts a week. Maybe have one be upper body and the other lower or two full body workouts. Push yourself but not too hard.
- Find Some Fun Cardio – Aim for finding an enjoyable activity to do twice a week. It can be cycling, walking, running, hiking, or whatever floats your boat. Look to do it about 30 to 60 minutes. Don’t worry about serious training, but instead get out there and have fun with it.
The real secret to meeting your fitness goals has to do with enjoyment. If you don’t like what you are doing then you will find excuses not to do it. All of these tips have something in common; they are easy and not a lot of pressure. Too many people set high expectations out the gate on New Year’s and then screw themselves all up over it.
Instead start by making small changes to your life. Small changes are easy to handle and maintain. Then, as your body slowly adjusts and feels better you will notice that it is easier to take the next step. Most people enjoy feeling better and looking better which then turns into motivation to do more in gradual steps. That is how you can achieve your fitness goals in the New Year, even if you have already given up on your resolution.