Fitness for Men at Forty

Sharing is caring!

Getting older is not always pleasant. In some cases it stinks. As you move past your thirties and into your forties fitness for men at fortythere are a lot of changes happening to your body. It becomes painfully obvious that you are not the young man that you used to be.

You have to come to grips with the fact that late thirties and early forties is a whole new phase. No longer is your body naturally going to be at the same level as it was in your 20’s, even if mentally we still have the same or greater desires to be fit and athletic.

It can be rather sobering to realize it but while your body might basically look the same, its needs have changed. We tend to produce much less testosterone, our metabolism starts slowing down, and our recovery periods are longer. Plus we are at greater risk for heart disease and cancer.

Of course that doesn’t mean that it is time to check into the retirement home…

It just means now we need to use the experience we have gained to understand and accept this, then adapt by developing a more effective strategy to counteract all of these affects of again. In this manner we can then keep moving in the positive direction of staying healthy and fit well into our retirement years.

The Secret of Anti-Aging

It all starts with the diet.

Shocking right? Yes your diet will probably be about 80% responsible for how you look and feel as you hit 40 and beyond. The other 20% will be training.

Why is diet so important? To start, the proper diet is the best way to make sure you are getting all the nutrients into your body. Next you need to limit things like sugar and excess fat and carbohydrates because it will take you so much longer to burn off accumulated fat.

Finally diet and supplementation has a huge impact on our daily energy levels, sex drive, stress, depression, memory, mood, and prevention of illness and disease.

You need to take the time to really understand all the results of eating well sometimes versus eating great all the time. That also involves making sure you have the right type of supplements to help combat aging. That means having things like: a multivitamin, flax seed oil, whey protein, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, zinc, and l-arginine, in the cupboard to boost your systems.

The Right Kind of Exercise

Along with nailing down a good diet, you need to workout the right way. Specifically that means using weight workouts and high-intensity interval training. Why these two methods?

Weight workouts are important for maintaining and even increasing lean muscle mass. Muscle mass is directly related to your metabolism. On top of that, if you incorporate more full-body exercises such as squats, deadlifts, clean and pulls, or one-arm snatches you can help increase the natural production of testosterone in your system to offset the loss from aging.

For performing cardio work, HIIT training is a superior choice because of how efficient it is at burning fat, helps increase testosterone levels, and helps with your heart health.

No Time like the Present

As you get older it becomes more and more apparent that there is no time like the present. There comes a point where you can’t put off exercising and taking care of your diet if you truly want to take care of yourself. But, that choice has to be made because you truly want to; not because you feel like you have to.

Sharing is caring!