This routine is designed around the idea of shaping up as much as possible in a two week period by burning fat and toning muscle. It is ideal for that last ditch effort before a trip or to shape up for an event. Honestly the program is great to do beyond two weeks, but if you only have a short time then this program will pay the dividends you want!
This program is a 4 day split over a 7 day period. You will work out twice a day doing cardio in the morning and weights at night. The rest days will be needed so your body will recovery properly so do not do extra and over train yourself.
- Day 1 – Cardio AM – Legs/Calves PM
- Day 2 – Off
- Day 3 – Cardio AM – Back/Biceps/Abs
- Day 4 – Off
- Day 5 – Cardio AM – Chest/Triceps
- Day 6 – Cardio AM – Shoulders/Calves/Abs
- Day 7 – Off
The cardio portion is paramount to fat loss. You will start the day doing cardio first before you even eat breakfast. If you need something in your stomach try coffee, tea or a glass of juice. You will do 45 minutes of cardio. I recommend picking a different machine depending on your mood from the treadmill, stationary bike, stair climber, or Elliptical machine.
You can select a fat burning program or manual setting. If you choose manual make sure that you are going at a fast enough pace to work up a sweat but not so fast that you can’t talk because of shortness of breath. Make sure to do a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool-down as well.
Take short rests between sets. Remember you are there to workout so keep moving! Push the last set as hard as you can with the heaviest weight you can safely handle in good form.
- Leg Extensions – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Dumbbell Lunges – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Wide Stance Barbell Squats – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Lying Leg Curls – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Romanian Deadlifts – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Standing Calf Raises – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Seated Cable Rows – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Lower Back Machine – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Dumbbell Alternating Curls – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Concentration Curls – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Swiss Ball Crunches – 2 sets of 30+ reps
- Hanging Leg Raises – 2 sets of 30+ reps
- Dumbbell Flyes – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Press – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Push-ups with Feet Elevated – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Triceps Pushdown – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Dips – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Front Dumbbell Rows – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Side Lateral Raises – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Rear Lateral Raises – 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Seated Calf Raises – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Machine Ab Crunches – 2 sets of 30+ reps
- Jackknife Crunches – 2 sets of 30+ reps
In a brief shape-up routine you should NOT do any drastic diet changes. The simplest things to do are to drink more water and eat 5 small meals a day instead of 3 bigger ones. No matter what, DO NOT starve yourself. Other simple changes are not eating after 8pm and removing as much sugar from your daily routine as possible.
Far too many people try to skimp on food when crash dieting which will not work with this program because your body will need energy to workout with. Also ignore the scale. This program is going to tone you up as well as help burn fat so while the actual scale numbers might only change slightly, the reflection in the mirror is what really counts. Would you rather drop 10 pounds and look awful or drop 3 pounds and look fantastic?