Some people get confused with the wide variety of weight training equipment out there. It is understandable; there are a lot of products on the market these days. Some things are certainly “must use” while other items are “interesting” at best.
Let’s break it down and see what should be in your gym bag and in your hands when working out for the best results.
Best Weight Training Equipment
- Dumbbells – These are some of the most versatile and useful pieces of equipment in any gym environment, either at home or in a gym. The wide variety of exercises you can do combined with the stability aspect your body has to use while lifting them easily makes them essential weight training equipment.
- Kettlebells – For those interested in gaining more explosive strength in their muscles along with working on coordination and power, kettlebells are certainly something you should be using. You simply cannot do the exact same movements with other pieces of equipment that you can with a kettlebell.
- Power Cage – You can’t build big muscles without doing the big exercises. Big exercises are done in the power cage. That means using a barbell for squats or presses. Some people even like to do heavy partials with bench presses and deadlifts.
- Belts and Straps – Certain equipment is useful for safety and support. Belts and straps fit in that category. If you use really heavy weights or are concerned about a back issue then a belt is very important to have in your bag. Straps are useful to assist in lifts when the forearms give out. While some people look at them like a crutch, really they are a tool when used properly.
- Swiss Balls – This is a crucial piece of weight training equipment because they are so useful in abdominal and core workouts. While you can work both your abs and core without a Swiss ball, you can work them so much better with one.
- Medicine Ball – Much like the Swiss ball, the medicine ball should be included in this list because there are certain things you can do with them very easily. Great for working rotator cuffs, abs, and explosive power, the medicine ball definitely belongs on the list.
- Barbell – As great as dumbbells are, there are certain exercises that a barbell works better for. Squats, deadlifts, and the clean are good examples of heavy weight power exercises that you have to have a barbell for.
What about the Others?
As much as it would be nice to list more equipment, we are looking at weight training equipment you should be using. Machines are nice but free weights are often better. Resistance bands and other little pieces of equipment are a bit specific and not always useful for every workout. Gloves are nice but not a necessity because you build up your grip better without them.
Really when it gets down to it, there are only a few things you really should be using to get a great workout. Keep it basic and focused to achieve optimal results.